Chakali – A queen of all Diwali delicious. It is a savoury, crunchy Indian snack. In Maharashtra we prepare chakali by using all kinds of different pulses (Bhajani)…
For the ‘bhajani’ :
- 4 cups rice
- 2 cups bengal gram, split (Chana dal)
- 1 cup black gram, split (Udad dal)
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
For the dough:
- Bhajani flour – 2 cups
- White sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- Ajwain -1 tsp
- Red chili powder- (as per the taste) -2 tsp
- Turmeric powder -a pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1tbsp
- Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil (called ‘mohan’ in marathi) – 1tbsp
Method for ‘bhajani’ flour :
- Roast rice, bengal gram and black gram (each item separately) till the grains turn crisp. Do not use oil for roasting.
- Also roast coriander seeds and cumin seeds.
- Grind together all these items into a very fine powder. This is ‘bhajani’ flour for chakli.
How to make Chaklis:
- Heat some oil in a pan until it reaches the smoking stage. Pour it over the bhajani and mix.
- Add sesame seeds, ajwain, salt, turmeric powder, chili powder,cumin seeds
- Add approx. 1 and 1/2 cup boiling water into the bhajani.
- Knead the flour to make a soft pliable dough. Put it in the chakli mold
- Press out in circular motion to make chaklis of desired size (generally 5 circles).
- Heat enough oil in the pan. When oil is heated enough, turn the heat to medium to low and put chaklis in the pan. Avoid overfrying.
Fry chaklis in small batches of 2 to 3. A well done chakli stops bubbling and starts going down in the oil.
Once they cool down, store them in an airtight container.
- Bhajani should be grounded to a very fine powder.
- Chakalis break at the time of frying if abundant oil is used in the flour.
- The oil should be sufficiently hot (but not at the smoking point), else chaklis soak up lots of oil and may not become crisp.
- If for some reason, chaklis loose their crispness after some time, reheat them in microwave (adjust the timing) and they become crisp once again.
Air fryer version [ oil free chakali ] :
- Prepare Chaklis with the Chakli maker and brush them with oil.(After 6th step)
- Preheat the air fryer on 180°C for 5 minutes and cook Chakali for 5 to 7 minutes
- Let it cool and store in airtight container