- Gram flour -1.5 cup
- Corn flour – 1tbsp [ optional]
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
- Baking Salt / Bi Carbonate of Soda -1 pinch [ optional]
- Boiled Potatoes – 5
- Green chillies – 5-6
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic Cloves – 8 -10
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Chopped Coriander Leaves – 2tbsp
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seed
- Curry Leaves
- Asafoetida [hing] – 1/4 tsp
Filling of the vada.
- Take the green chillies, ginger and garlic cloves in a mixer and grind it to a nice paste. This is the spice mix for our filling.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and Cumin seed. When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add curry leaves and hing and fry for few seconds. Then add the ground ginger-garlic-green chilli paste and saute it for couple of minutes in medium flame.
- I have already boiled the potatoes and mashed it coarsely and kept it aside. Add these coarsely mashed potatoes to the pan and mix well
- Then add turmeric powder, salt and mix well. To the pan, then add finely chopped coriander leaves and mix everything well.
- Our Potato filling is ready. Allow the filling to come to room temperature and make lemon sized balls out of the filling and set it aside
- Now, lets prepare out batter. In a mixing bowl, add besan flour, corn flour[ optional] and turmeric powder and mix well. Then add red chilli powder and salt and mix well.
- Then add water little by little and mix well and make it like a bajji batter
- The batter should not be too thick or too thin.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Just before you fry the Balls, add a pinch of Bi Carbonate of Soda and a tablespoon of hot oil and mix everything well.
- Adding soda salt should be at last, just before frying the batata vada.
- Add each Balls to the vada batter and nicely coat then with the batter using a fork. Fork will help to have a nice coating than using our hand. Then using the fork itself, gently drop each coated dumplings in the hot oil and fry them
- Flip the batata vada on other side and fry them in medium flame till they are crispy and turn golden brown outside.
- Remove the fried batata vada from oil and place them in paper towel to drain excess oil
- Yummy and Crispy Batata Vada is now ready to serve!
- Serve batata Vada with some corinder mint chutney
- And you can make vada pav also using green chutney, sweet chutney , garlic chutney