Smoky flavor is loved by most and this dish has a lot of it as you roast these big eggplants directly on the fire! Overall combination is so tasty & unique that you will fall in love with Baingans! Go on a farm house trip and treat yourself with the popular combination of Baingan Bharta & Bhakri!
- Onion finely chopped – 1 big
- Tomato Finely chopped – 2 medium sized
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds– 1tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp or more
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Coriander leaves, chopped –1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder –1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Roast the Eggplants on gas cooktop by just placing them straight on the burner and keeping the flame on low. Keep turning and cooking until it is completely cooked and becomes tender.
- Now remove them and let them cool for sometime. Peel off the skin & then chop the eggplant in small pieces and keep aside.
- In a pan heat 1 and 1/2 tsp oil, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds cook until the spluttering stops
- Add ginger garlic paste, curry leaves & finely chopped onions
- Saute the onions till they turn translucent. Don’t brown them.
- Add the tomato and all the powdered spices, including the garam masala, chili powder,Turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt. Stir well and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring often to prevent the spice mix from sticking to the pan. [Sprinkle little water if needed.]
- Now add the eggplant and mix well
- Add chopped coriander leaves
- Cook another minute and your dish is ready
- Serve hot with Chapatis or Bhakri
Thanks for visiting my website. For more cooking tips and daily updates, check out my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DeepaKitchen/ Please do leave your comments and don’t forget to like it if you really do!!