Who says chefs cant be scientists! Pakoda, though a very popular dish, has yet another variant. Capsicum gives a twist to the common onion pakoda.
- Mini Bell peppers / Capsicum – 8
- Oil for Frying
- Besan / Gram flour / Chickpea flour – 1 cup
- Rice flour – 1tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Green Chutney – 1 tbsp
- Tamarind Chutney – 1 tbsp
For Stuffing :
- Potato boiled – 3 medium
- Chili, garlic, coriander leaves paste – 1 tbsp [ 2,3 chili, 3 garlic, 1 tbsp coriander leaves ]
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seed – 1/2 tsp
- Asafetida (hing)
- Lemon juice -1
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Chat masala – 1/2 tsp
- Butter / oil – 2 tsp
Preparing the filling:
- In a blender jar add garlic cloves, chilies, coriander leaves. Grind them into a paste
- Boil the potatoes until they become tender and cooked. Peel and mash them.
- In a pan take oil/ butter. When it’s hot, add curry leaves, mustard seed, cumin seed and hing.
- Add chili garlic paste,sauté for half a minute
- Add turmeric powder, coriander leaves, and salt
- Then add mashed potatoes.
- Mix well and stuffing is ready
Preparing for batter
- Mix the chickpea flour, salt, turmeric, asafetida, cumin powder, 1/4 cumin seeds in a bowl. Add 1/2 the water to make lump-free paste.
- Slowly add some water [ if needed] and make a thick batter.
Preparing the Pakoda:
- Wash mini capsicum and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Cut the top of capsicum and de-seed them
- Stuff the capsicum with potato masala
- Heat the oil for deep frying in a wok. [The oil should be hot to prevent the pakoda from absorbing too much oil ]
- Dip the filled capsicum in the batter and fry on medium heat till it turns golden crisp!
- Transfer to a paper towel and keep aside
- Cut each pakoda in 2 pieces
- Add some tamarind chutney and green chutney on top
- Add chopped onions and Sprinkle the chaat masala, black salt & cumin powder
- Garnish with coriander and sev
Thanks for visiting my website. For more cooking tips and daily updates, check out my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DeepaKitchen/ Please do leave your comments and don’t forget to like it if you really do!!