A lot of South Indian people traditionally finish the meal with curd rice!! Lot of my husband’s colleagues prefer to just eat home made curd rice w pickle, rather than eating outside!! You will find it heavenly food during hot summer days !! This recipe is quite famous but a lot of North Indian friends have no clue on how to make it.. Hence, I thought it would be nice to publish my own version of curd rice!
- Cooked Rice – 2 cup
- Curd / yogurt – 1 cup
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Salt – as needed
- Green chilli, chopped finely – 2
- Curry leaves – few
- Ginger (grated) – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Coriander leaves (chopped finely) – 1 tbsp
- Carrot, grated – 3 tbsp (optional)
- Dry red chili – 1
- Urad dal -1 tsp
- Clove -2
- Black pepper – 5,6
- Cinnamon stick – 1 small
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seed s- 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash the rice thrice and pressure cook with 1 & 3/4 cups of water for 5 whistles on a medium flame.
- Once done, mash the rice well
- When the rice gets cooled down, add fresh curd.
- Mix well and break lumps
- Add milk and mix well
- Add chopped coriander leaves Grated carrot [ optional ] and salt. Mix well and keep aside
- Heat oil in tadka pan and add cumin & mustard seeds. Once the seeds crackle, add urad dal and fry until it becomes golden
- Add black pepper and clove
- Add ginger, dry chili, green chili, curry leaves and asafoetida
- Remove from flame and mix tempering with curd rice
- Delicious curd rice is ready. Serve with pickle!!