Aloo parathas must be the most magical outcome of Aloos!!. Law of decreasing marginal utility fails here as satisfaction never goes down!! Though they are made in every Indian households, there are multiple ways to make aloo filling and my kids loves this version the most..!! This is an evergreen dish and can be had at anytime during the day !!.. Be it breakfast with Masala tea or lunch with Salted Panjabi Lassi!!
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- Water – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Take 2 cups of whole wheat flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, oil and mix well
- Pour the water slowly and mix it thoroughly to form a soft, smooth dough.
- Apply some oil on your hands and knead the dough well.
- Cover the dough and keep it aside for 15 minutes
Ingredients (Aloo filling):
- Potatoes boiled and mashed- 4
- Onion finely chopped – 2
- Cumin seeds/jeera – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves chopped – 1/4 cup
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Red chili – 1/2 tsp
- A big pinch Hing/Asafetida
- Turmeric Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Ginger and Green chili paste – 2 tsp
- Chat masala – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Steps (Aloo filling):
- Heat pan add oil and jeera, When they sizzle add Asafetida and Chooped onions saute for 30 sec
- Add Ginger Green chili paste and sauté for 30 sec
- Add all Dry ingredients , [Chili powder, masala, salt, chat masala, cumin powder, Turmeric powder]
- Then add mashed potatoes , mix well
- Then add lemon juice and Chopped coriander leaves.
- Now stuffing mixture is ready
Assembling and rolling aloo parathas:
- Make a medium sized dough ball, roll it and flatten it. Dust with some flour and roll it in a circle.
- Apply some oil and sprinkle some powder
- Place the potato stuffing in the center
- Take the edges and close them to make a rose flower
- Join the top plates together, press them from center and sprinkle some flour
- Roll dough ball to form a circular shaped flat paratha (make sure aloo filling does not come out while flattening)
- Heat an tawa on a medium flame.
- Place the paratha on the tawa, when the base is partly cooked, flip the paratha.
- Spread some ghee on the partly cooked part.
- Flip again, spread some ghee on this side too
- Dont flip too many times
- Paratha will puff up if done correctly:)
- Now paratha is ready, Serve it hot with butter, chutney, curd, raita and pickles.