I have been lucky to have visited Indian Restaurants across the world!! This one is coming from my recent visit to a restaurant in Shanghai Pudong area!! This is a popular street food in Kolkata…
They are tongue ticking spicy vegetables wrapped in butter fried roti. They are quite filling and can be good option for breakfast.
For Rotis or paratha:
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- Maida/all purpose flour – 1/2 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil -1 tbsp
- Milk – 2 tbsp
- Water to knead the dough
- Julienne cut vegetables [beans, carrot, red, green yellow capsicum, beans and cabbage, onions, potato ] – 3 cup
- Peas – 2 tbsp
- Cumin seed – 2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1tbsp
- Coriander leaves -1/8 cup
- Mint leaves – 1 tbsp
- Green chilis – 3-4
- Chaat masala – 1 tsp
- Everest Royal garam masala – 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Mix salt, wheat flour, maida and oil together
- Add milk and slowly add water to form a soft yet slightly firm dough.
- Cover it or wrap it with plastic and keep it aside
- Add mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chilis, 1 tsp cumin seeds into blender and make into paste
- Heat the butter. Add the cumin seeds and when they sputter, add the potatoes, carrots and saute them for 1 min
- Then add ginger garlic paste and coriander mint paste. Saute for 30 sec and then add remaining veggies [ onions , capsicums, beans, peas, cabbage ] and stir them for 30 more secs
- Then add garam masala, cumin powder, chat masala, coriander powder, salt
- Toss all veggies and combine. Now stuffing is ready
- To prepare rotis, pinch a large lemon sized ball of dough, dust the working surface with some atta and roll out the dough to form7′ – 8′ diameter circles. Try to make the roti as thin as possible.
- Heat the tawa on medium heat. Once it is hot, place roti on the tawa. After few seconds, you will see few bubbles on top.
- Flip it, cook for 30 seconds
- Flip it again and also apply some oil. Now bottom side is cooked with few brown spots
- Flip and again cook till another side is cooked.
- Roti is ready now as in the picture below.
- Now let’s start assembling the kathi roll
- Take one roti on a plate. Place 3-4 tbsps of vegetable filling in the middle of the roti
- Sprinkle chaat masala on top. Fold the roti from both sides tightly to form a roll
- Then apply butter on both side of roll
- Heat grilling pan and place the roll on it … if u don’t have grilling pan u can use normal pan or tawa
- Flip the roll, cut into the 2 pieces..serve hot with Mint Coriander Curd Chutney
- As an alternate option, you can add egg as well when you make roti in steps 3-6
- Once you add beaten egg on roti and flip over so that the egg gets cooked.